As realtors, we often get asked by those looking to sell their home about potential remodels or updates. Friends and family with long-term value in mind want to know if remodeling their kitchen, or installing new flooring, or adding an addition will be worth the investment when it comes time to sell.
But what about bathrooms?
Here’s the truth: updating a bathroom can be one of the most cost-effective ways to increase the value of your home. According to a report from Remodeling Magazine, an average bathroom remodel can recoup up to 60% of its cost at resale, making it a valuable investment for homeowners looking to increase the value of their property.
Here are some reasons why updating your bathroom before selling your home can be a smart investment:
- It improves the appearance of your home: a dated and worn-out bathroom can be a major turnoff for potential buyers. Updating the bathroom with new fixtures, flooring, and lighting can significantly improve its appearance and make a better impression on buyers.
- It increases functionality: upgrading the bathroom can also improve its functionality and make it more appealing to buyers. Adding a double sink, a larger shower, or a separate tub can make the bathroom more functional and appealing to buyers.
- It boosts energy efficiency: updating the bathroom can also include the installation of energy-efficient fixtures and appliances, such as low-flow toilets, LED lighting, and water-saving showerheads. These updates can help reduce energy and water consumption, lower utility bills, and appeal to eco-conscious buyers.
- It adds value to your home: a bathroom remodel can add value to your home, making it more attractive to potential buyers. By investing in the bathroom, you can increase the overall value of your property and potentially earn a higher selling price.
- It increases your home’s competitiveness: with many homes on the market, updating your bathroom can help your home stand out from the competition. A modern and updated bathroom can be a major selling point for potential buyers, especially if it offers features that other homes in the area lack.
When updating your bathroom, consider making updates that are neutral and timeless. Avoid trendy designs or bold colors that may not appeal to all buyers. Opt for classic fixtures and finishes that can appeal to a wide range of buyers and make the bathroom look clean, bright, and spacious.
In short: updating your bathroom can be a smart investment before selling your home. It improves the appearance and functionality of your home, boosts energy efficiency, adds value to your property, and makes your home more competitive in the market. By investing in your bathroom, you can increase your chances of selling your home quickly and for a higher price.
Thinking about updating your home with resale value in mind? Give Properties on the Potomac a call at 703-624-8333 for a free consultation!